Hairdresser Jargon


I am writing this post for all the girls who didn’t go to hair school. I remember my thought process before I went to hair school and then going to hair school and being like, “I know you are calling it that but people in the real world would have no idea what you are talking about.” The truth is I think a lot of unhappy clients can be contributed to the fact that the client and the stylist are using different language; a miscommunication happens resulting in a hairdresser who thought they did exactly what the client asked for and the client being unhappy and unaware that they didn’t know what they were talking about. Here are some hair terms that can get all my peeps on the same page as their hairdressers.


Fringe means bangs. I love the word fringe. That is partly why my website has fringe in the name. To me, bangs or fringe have three lengths, Short which sit right above the eyebrow, medium which sit at the corner of the eye usually sweeping across the forehead, and long sitting at the cheek bone. Anything longer than that is considered to be face framing layers. 


A blunt haircut means there are no layers in it. The hair sits very heavy with little or no volume or movement. Blunt haircuts are good for people who have thin or fine hair but want  to have it longer.

Texturize and Thin Out

Texturizing and thinning have the same goal and that is to remove weight from the hair to create volume and to help your hair cut lay better. There are a lot of different ways stylists achieve this: point cutting, razor cutting (using a straight razor in place of scissors), or thinning shears. I don’t like to use the word thinning too often since texture and texturizing sound so much better.

Triangular, Round, and Square

These terms might just be what I learned at a Paul Mitchell school but if your hairdresser is ever using these, you need to know what they are talking about! These terms refer to haircuts. Triangular means an A-line or shorter in the back and longer in the front.  Round means just the opposite shorter in the front and longer in the back; a mullet would be considered a ’round’ haircut. Square means that all sides of the hair are equal in length, a bob is a square hairstyle.


Depositing refers to color and means that you are going to a darker shade. Depositing means putting color into the hair.


Lifting means the opposite of depositing. You are going to lift the hair to a lighter shade.


Pull is how your hair reacts to color and bleach. Some hair tends to bring out or pull warm colors, while others pull cool colors. Some people have hair that pulls true to color swatches.


The level refers to how dark or light a hair color is. In most color lines 1 or 0 is considered to be black and 10 or 11 is platinum blonde.

Taper or Face Framing

Layers around the face that frame it. Super long hair with layers in the front may be called a taper and may not necessarily frame the face.

I hope these help you! Please feel free to ask about any other foreign words that your stylist may use. If you are still worried about being able to communicate, bring a picture to your hair appointment. CLICK HERE TO WORK WITH ME on finding your perfect look and your perfect stylist.


You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply